Workstations optimized for Arnold. Render faster, wait less.
Arnold is an unbiased, physically based, ray tracing 3D rendering application created by the company Solid Angle. Notable films that have used Arnold includeMonster House,Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,Alice in Wonderland,Thor,Captain America,X-Men: First Class,The Avengers,Red Tails,Underworld: Awakening,Space Pirate Captain Harlock,Elysium,Pacific Rim andGravity. Arnold is based on Monte Carlo Ray Tracing. Its engine is optimized to send billions of spatially incoherent rays throughout a scene. It often uses one level of diffuse inter-reflection so that light can bounce off of a wall or other object and indirectly illuminate a subject. For complex scenes such as the space station in Elysium, it makes heavy use of instancing. It uses the Open Shading Language to define the materials and textures.
The computers listed below are best for Arnold because they all meet or exceed these system requirements…
- OSX 10.9 or later
- Windows 7 or later, with the Visual Studio 2015 redistributable
- Linux with at least glibc 2.12 and libstdc++ 3.4.13 (gcc 4.4.7). This is equivalent to RHEL/CentOS 6
- CPUs need to support the SSE4.1 instruction set
- Optix™ denoiser requires an NVidia GPU with CUDA™ Compute Capability 5.0 and above
- Arnold GPU (beta) works on Linux and Windows, and requires an NVIDIA GPU of the Turing, Volta, Pascal, or Maxwell architecture.