AutoCAD is a commercial computer-aided design (CAD) and drafting software application. Developed and marketed by Autodesk, AutoCAD was first released in December 1982 as a desktop app running on microcomputers with internal graphics controllers. Before AutoCAD was introduced, most commercial CAD programs ran on mainframe computers or minicomputers, with each CAD operator (user) working at a separate graphics terminal. Since 2010, AutoCAD was released as a mobile and web app as well, marketed as AutoCAD 360. AutoCAD is used in industry, by architects, project managers, engineers, graphic designers, city planners and other professionals.
The computers listed below are best for AutoCAD because they all meet or exceed these system requirements…
- Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1 with Update KB4019990 (64-bit only), Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Update KB2919355 (64-bit only), Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit only) (version 1803 or higher). Apple® macOS® Catalina v10.15 (requires Update 2020.1), Apple® macOS® Mojave v10.14, Apple® macOS® High Sierra v10.13.
- Processor: 3+ GHz processor. Multiple processors: Supported by the application
- Model (FOR MAC ONLY): Apple Mac Pro® 4,1 or later; MacBook Pro® 5,1 or later; iMac® 8.1 or later; Mac mini® 3.1 or later; MacBook Air® 2.1 or later; MacBook® 5.1 or later
- CPU: 64-bit Intel CPU (Intel Core Duo CPU, 2 GHz or faster recommended)
Memory: Basic 8 GB, Recommended 16 GB
- Display Resolution: 1280 x 800 display with true color (2880 x 1800 with Retina Display recommended) for MacOS, 1920 x 1080 with True Color for Windows
Display Card: Basic 1 GB GPU with 29 GB/s Bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliant, Recommended 4 GB GPU with 106 GB/s Bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliant
- Disk Space: 6.0 GB for PC, 3 GB free disk space for download and installation for MacOS
- Browser: Google Chrome™ (for AutoCAD web app) for Windows, Apple Safari® 5.0 or later and Google Chrome™ (for AutoCAD Web) for MacOS
- Network (FOR WINDOWS ONLY): Either Microsoft® or Novell TCP/IP protocol stacks are acceptable. Primary login on workstations may be Netware or Windows.
- Pointing Device: MS-Mouse compliant
- .NET Framework: .NET Framework Version 4.7 or later, *DirectX11 recommended by supported OS